This is a widely used app by our sales force but since updating to the newest version, users are unable to connect server. They have the correct host protocol and port number. Any help on this is highly appreciated.
This release has been a heartache for my IT department. We sent out a communication to not download this version, but we had a large base of users install it. Thanks to Oracle for releasing a workaround until the fix is released. Hopefully it comes soon. Otherwise, OBI is a great resource.
Since the latest update the app has become an inconvenience to use. The layout is not user friendly and having to log in each time using a text verification is annoying. It used to be my most used app and now don’t even bother using it anymore.
I used to use this app A LOT. Since I was forced to update the app, it has been useless. Constantly asking me to connect, then I have to login, have a code text to me, and then FINALLY, I get to the data which is now in a more difficult to use and navigate format. I’ve deleted and reinstalled several times and nothing has helped. Even calling support. I’ve decided to delete the app for good until someone gets this thing back on track. 👎🏼