Definition: Expanded Text Ads (ETA) are a type of online advertising format used in digital marketing campaigns, specifically in the context of pay-per-click (PPC) advertising. ETA is a more extensive version of the traditional text ad format, offering additional ad space for advertisers to convey their message and attract potential customers effectively.
Where and by Whom are Expanded Text Ads Used?
- Search Engine Advertising Platforms: Expanded Text Ads are commonly used on search engine advertising platforms, such as Google Ads, Microsoft Advertising (formerly Bing Ads), and others.
- Digital Advertisers and Marketers: Advertisers and digital marketing professionals create and manage Expanded Text Ads to promote products, services, or content.
Structure of Expanded Text Ads
- Headline 1: The first line of the ad, which typically grabs the viewer’s attention and includes the primary keyword.
- Headline 2: The second line of the ad, used to expand on the headline and reinforce the message.
- Headline 3 (Optional): An additional headline introduced in some platforms, allowing advertisers to further enhance their message.
- Description 1: A compelling description of the offering or benefits, providing more context to the ad.
- Description 2: Additional information or a call-to-action to entice users to click.
- Display URL: The website address shown in the ad, typically simplified to fit the ad format.
- Final URL: The landing page URL where users are redirected after clicking the ad.
Benefits and Best Practices for Expanded Text Ads
- Increased Visibility: The larger ad format of ETAs improves ad visibility and attracts more attention from potential customers.
- Higher Click-Through Rates: With more ad space, ETAs can provide a clearer value proposition, leading to higher click-through rates.
- Relevance to Users: Customizing ad copy with relevant keywords and compelling content increases the ad’s relevance to users.
- A/B Testing: Testing different variations of headlines and descriptions helps optimize ad performance.
- Ad Extensions: Take advantage of ad extensions, such as site links and callouts, to provide additional information and improve ad relevance.
Example of an Expanded Text Ad
Headline 1: Save Big on Summer Fashion
Headline 2: Up to 50% Off Dresses and Sandals
Description 1: Shop our latest collection of summer dresses and sandals
Description 2: Limited time offer. Shop now!
Display URL: www.examplestore.com/summer-sale
Final URL: www.examplestore.com/summer-sale/dresses-sandals
In this example, the Expanded Text Ad promotes a summer fashion sale, offering discounts on dresses and sandals. The ad’s clear and concise message, along with a compelling call-to-action, encourages users to click and explore the summer collection.