FAQ

App store page A/B testing is an experiment used to compare two or more versions of an app store page to see which one performs best. SplitMetrics generates a web page that shows an app with the same elements that a customer will see in the app store and tracks how they impact work based on install rate.
A/B testing lets you understand how visitors interact with your app page. You can test new graphic design or messaging and you won’t have to guess if the changes you made have a positive impact on your app conversion rates.
SplitMetrics is different from other solutions in many ways, here are a few of them:

  1. 30+ experiment types are available. Test icons, screenshots, video preview, description, pricing, or anything else on your app page + Search, Search Ads, Category and Customized App Store page.
  2. Test even before you launch. Pre launch experiments help you find the most effective app store listings and collect the user’s emails.
  3. Get insights from the user behaviour. We show you what users are doing on your app page and how do they interact with your listings. There is a bunch of reports that measure engagement and let you understand your users better to make data-based decisions.
  4. Dedicated customer support. We are dedicated to providing high quality customer support and help you get the most out of app store optimization with SplitMetrics. Whether you’re a free customer of ours or a paid one feel free to contact us to learn about the best practices for improving your app store product page.
Absolutely! At SplitMetrics we offer the best support in the market. No matter what plan you choose, you can ask for a free consultation. We can help you to get started with SplitMetrics and determine the best industry practices you can apply to A/B test your app.
Setting up a test is easy:

  1. Define the experiment type.
  2. Check the landing page details.
  3. Create variations using SplitMetrics editor.
  4. Set up a campaign to drive a portion of traffic to the landing page.
    For more details read our step-by-step guide.

You can set up a campaign on Facebook or Google AdWords. The traffic should be sent to the landing page URL provided by SplitMetrics. Check out our Guide to setting up a campaign on Facebook to find out more. We recommend to have at least 100 conversions per variation. When you set up a campaign try to play around with your target audience and location.

For a more detailed view read our step-by-step guide.

It strongly depends on a product. In general, we recommend running a test for at least 7 days. This allows to consider the variance in your traffic depending on the days of the week. You may pause or stop the test at any point.
SplitMetrics landing pages do not differ that much from the App Store or Google Play product pages. It ensures similar conversion rates and accuracy of our tests. Even if there is a certain chance of inaccuracy it is relative and is the same for all alternatives, which annuls the inaccuracy and doesn’t affect results. We also take great care of constant availability of our service and its high performance.
Confidence level is a measure that shows the validity of the test. The recommended confidence level of 95% means that there is 5% chance that test findings might be false. And a confidence level of, for instance, 40% means that there is 60% chance that results are fasle. So, if you stop a test at, for example, 40% you accept a 60% risk that the findings are false.
Metadata is your mobile application data, App Store or Google Play page content like icon, screenshots, description, name, video preview, etc.
It can occur if you use Facebook to drive users to your experiment. Facebook opens your experiment URL inside its own browser. When browsing a page a user taps ‘Get’ button – Facebook robot clicks this link to see if it is an outside link (we count Install at this time + tracking system gets a click data). If yes, it shows additional pop-up window asking to confirm navigation. If user answers ‘yes’, Facebook redirects him/her using tracking system link and that’s when an extra click is counted by tracking system. Basically, Facebook generates two clicks instead of one. There are also some people who do not tap ‘yes’ while seeing the pop-up and that’s why the conversion you see in your dashboard report is different.
SplitMetrics supports A/B testing for iOS, iPad and Android devices. SplitMetrics makes it simple to deliver A/B tests designed specifically for each mobile device.
Just go to your Settings Billing Info page, head over to the billing and click “Upgrade”. You may choose to pay by invoice or by credit card.
All SplitMetrics subscriptions are monthly and prepaid. Once you sign up for a paid account, your credit card will be charged on the date you sign up. We then bill you for the next month subscription in 30 days. For example if you sign up on May 15, the payment will be charged on June, 15.
We currently support English, Spanish, Italian, German, Japanese, Chinese, Dutch, Polish, Russian, French, Portuguese and Turkish. If your language is not yet supported — just let us know and we’ll take care of it.
To turn on any local language you have to use url of your app with a language tag – https://itunes.apple.com/RU/app/fjuul/id663780818 or https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gameloft.android.ANMP.GloftDMHM&hl=JA
Here is a detailed guide on how you setup FB Pixel. We need just your Pixel ID. Please, remember: you need to create a different tracking pixel for each ad campaign.
Please keep in mind the following limitations:

  • Icons Size — 250×250;
  • Screenshots Size — not less than 960×640 (all screenshots should be of the same size);
  • Videos Size: iPhone — 750 × 1334, iPad — 1200 × 900, Android — 1920 × 1080;
    File Format — mp4,
    File size ~20-30Mb, <30sec.

Please make sure that your FB ad banner meets the requirements and hasn’t too much text on it. You can use Image Text Check to make sure your ad will fully reach the targeted audience.

That happens because 3 variations are randomly shown to different users. But only one landing page is shown to the same user all the time. If you want to see different pages, try a different device.
If you click the traffic link on your PC or a different than in your experiment OS you will be redirected to the actual store as a Filtered visitor that doesn’t take part in the experiment. If you want to see how the experimental landing page looks like click on Preview of each variation.
Once your Experiment is created you should drive traffic to the experiment URL (http://stor.re/xxxxx). This can be done by sending traffic from ad sources such as Facebook, AdWords or by sending users to your tests with Smart Banners.
Lifetime Budget lets you set an amount to spend over the lifetime of your ad campaign and it ensure that your experiment will receive sufficient number of visitors to generate statistically significant results. If lifetime budget is too small you won’t receive a clear winner and your money investment becomes a waste. The minimum recommended budget is $200. In most cases this amount is enough to drive sufficient number of visitors to generate accurate test results.
At SplitMetrics we only count Unique Visitors to an experiment. If 5 users visit your experiment page 15 times, Splitmetrics will only report 5 Unique Visitors. This is done to ensure accurate results and avoid any errors or bias caused by duplicate events. Facebook, on the other hand, by default reports all clicks and interactions with your ad, even those that doesn’t result in users visiting your page including actions like: likes, comments, shares, page likes, etc. To see how many people actually clicked on the link that leads from Facebook to your website (in this case Experiment page) you need to check out the article in our Blog with the detailed instructions on this.
Smart Banners allow you to drive free qualified website users to the Experiment URL instead of sending traffic from ad sources such as Facebook, AdWords, etc. Once you’ve implemented Smart Banners, you can use them for all your future tests.